Microsoft Excel, a spreadsheet application from Microsoft, is the most popular and useful spreadsheet application. It is also available for Mac OS X operating system works the exact same way as it does on Windows machine. However, there are some situations, where you may find that Excel does not open certain files and you get errors. Such issues make your significant files inaccessible and put you in need of Mac Excel repair solutions.
You may experience this problem with any version of the Mac Excel application. Consider the situation to understand this problem more effectively:
- When you start the application or open a file, the application closes unexpectedly.
- At the same time, you encounter the following error message that makes the program inaccessible:
“The application Microsoft Excel quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X and other applications are not affected. Click relaunch to launch the application again. Click report to see more details or send a report to Apple.”
It makes your significant data in the file inaccessible and you have to recover Excel files Mac using advanced recovery mechanisms to retrieve your data.
The most frequent causes of this problem are as given below:
- Damaged Excel preferences.
- Operating system issues.
- Hard drive failure or corruption.
- If the problem is with a particular file, file corruption could be the cause of this issue.
Follow the steps to fix this problem:
- Close all Office applications. The best way to do this is to restart your computer.
- Remove Excel for Mac preferences from Home-> Library-> Preferences-> Microsoft-> Office <version>.
- Preform safe boot to get rid of system related issues. It will fix the problem of interfering of background programs with Excel.
- Repair Mac OS X hard drive permissions using the Disk Utility tool. It fixes common hard drive related issues.
- Remove the existing installation of Microsoft Office for Mac and reinstall it. It fixes the problem of missing installation files or damaged installation.
If you do not get any success using the above steps, you need to use third-party recovery application to repair and restore the corrupted file. The recovery tools are designed to take care of all corruption problems and restore the damaged files cleanly.
By Subhash Chandra
Are you unable to open Microsoft Excel for Mac files after saving the file on your computer hard drive? Do you get corruption error messages while opening an XLS file using Excel for Mac 2008 or 2011? Well, this is a very frequent issue, which makes your critical Excel files inaccessible and lead to critical data loss. In such cases, you need to opt for Mac Excel recovery solutions to retrieve inaccessible data.
Consider the following scenarios, which you may encounter while accessing an Excel for Mac workbook on your Mac OS X machine:
- You are working on a very large Mac Excel file and you update the file frequently.
- The file is in XLS format, however, you are using Excel for Mac 2008 to open and edit the file.
- When you try to open the file, after you have saved it successfully, the file refuses to open and gives the following error message:
“Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format.”
When you run across this problem, the file becomes totally inaccessible and you have to recover Excel files Mac using advanced recovery methods.
Grounds of the problem:
This issue most frequently occurs if any of the following conditions are true:
- Microsoft Excel for Mac preferences are damaged and the application is not working fine.
- You have accidentally changed the extension of the file and Excel is unable to read the file.
- The spreadsheet is severely damaged. The corruption may occur due to virus infection, application malfunction, operating system failure, and other similar reasons.
You can fix this problem using any of the following methods, depending on the cause of the issue:
- Delete Excel for Mac preferences and restart the application. It will automatically recreate the preferences and should open the file.
- Change the file extension to XLSX in the Finder. Restart your Mac and try to open the file.
- If both of these methods fail, restore the file from most recent Time Machine backup. This is the most effective solution.
However, if backup is not in place, third-party Mac Excel repair software come for your rescue. The applications are particularly developed to thoroughly scan entire file and extract all inaccessible data, including charts, formulas, cell formatting, and more.
By Subhash Chandra